[Rhodes22-list] FW: [rhodes-list] Trailer Brakes Question

Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG) rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 1 Aug 2002 10:53:42 -0400

A lot of this is from old discussions, but thought I'd forward my reply from
the other list...

-----Original Message-----
From: Gardner, Douglas L. (LNG) [mailto:douglas.gardner@lexisnexis.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 01, 2002 10:36 AM
To: 'rhodes-list@sailnet.net'
Subject: RE: [rhodes-list] Trailer Brakes Question

Ed, Rick, & Denny,

   I'm sure they don't mean that BRAKES are illegal.  Just brakes that
operate based on trailer pressure on the hitch, such as the pressure
activated hydraulic brakes used on most boat trailers.

There are some good things and bad things about surge brakes.

First, though, we should know why surge brakes exist.  The simple reason is
WATER.
Electric brakes are superior in a variety of ways.  They are cheaper, and
you can have very precise control of the amount of trailer braking via a
brake controller monted in the tow vehicle.  However, submerging them voids
the warranty.  Essentially, electric brakes are activated by electromagnets
at the wheel.  Most people are a little wary of submerging electromagnets.
It certainly can't be good for them.  Salt water could be downright ugly.

So, the brake manufacturers came up with a hydraulic brake which withstands
dunking much better.  These brakes are activated by a surge controller
mounted at the hitch coupler.  This controller determines the amount of
pressure the trailer exerts on the tow vehicle, and applies braking as the
pressure increases.

However, there are some serious drawbacks to surge brakes.
1) control is almost non-existent.  You cannot control how much trailer
braking you have from the driver's seat. You cannot independently control
trailer and vehicle braking in an emergency.
2) Backing is a problem.  If you try to back up, the brakes are applied.
(pressure on the coupler, remember?)  If you try harder, the brakes lock up.
If you remember to disengage the brakes you're OK, but you also have no
brakes.
3) Tongue extensions are cumbersome.  Because the activator is mounted to
the coupler, you need to deal with the brake lines when backing.  In most
cases, the brake lines are disconnected. Some people have installed quick
disconnects to make this easier, but air bubbles in the brake lines can
still be a problem.  Trailers with separate extendable tongues avoid this
problem.

Apparently, Maryland has decided that these problems are serious enough to
disqualify surge brakes as a way to meet the requirements for brakes on
trailers over 3000 lbs. Apparently, they did not include an exemption for
recreational use.  Rumor has it that Ohio is considering a similar measure.
I bet others are, as well.

So... what do you do?  I believe that there are currently 2 options which
include compliance with the law.
1) Electrically controlled hydraulic brakes.  These are hydraulic brakes
(like on surge brakes) but replace the surge controller with an electrically
operated hydraulic system, controlled by the standard electric brake
controller from the driver's seat.  PROBLEM: they are very expensive (my
quote was more than double the cost of surge brakes) and new. Interpret NEW
to mean "we don't know what is wrong with them, yet... and the bugs aren't
worked out"
2) Use electric brakes, and check them for problems regularly. Disconnect
the plug before backing into the water. Let them drain thoroughly before
reconnecting, and live without the warranty. It will have expired before you
land your boat in fall, anyway!  New magnets are cheap ($20 each, or so) and
apparently easy to replace.  Also, brakes get wet. Always have, and always
will. The submerging problem has probably been exaggerated for fresh water.
(seriously consider the electrically operated hydraulic brakes for salt
water use, though!)

I'm not qualified (or legally protected) so would not want to give advice on
a serious topic like trailer brakes.

However, I can tell you that I just had electric brakes installed on
Fretnaught's trailer. I could probably tell you in about a year if I think I
made the right decision or not.

Good luck,

--Doug Gardner
s/v Fretnaught