[Rhodes22-list] IMF Problem

Steve Alm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 04:21:45 -0500

--B_3111711705_41474905

Carol,

I=B9d be more than a little concerned with the loose crane deck plate.  Yes,
there=B9s a lot of stress on the bow cleat but also on the base of the crane,
which is mostly force pushing down and aft at whatever angle the crane is
pointing.  I think there=B9s a chance that you could crane down your mast
without incident, but consider what might happen if the crane base plate
were to let go during the process.  The base of the crane could pop out in
an unpredictable direction which could put the crane operator and the
rigging at something of a risk.  The greatest stress is when the mast is
almost down, and at that point, the crane is pushing almost straight down o=
the deck.  Depending on how loose the plate is should dictate weather you
should get a bunch of guys to walk it down manually, or perhaps a
combination of the two=8Bthe more load that the guys could take of the mast a=
it comes down, the more stress you take off the bow cleat and the crane.
That said, the safest thing you could do is fix the deck plate before you
use it again.

Slim

On 8/8/02 11:00 PM, "CarolN8@aol.com" <CarolN8@aol.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your input Michael. Do you think it's ok to lower the mast wit=
h the
> plate not anchored in? don't the stays and the hoist end tied to the clea=
> hold the weight of the mast?
>=20
> Carol=20
>=20

--B_3111711705_41474905

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: [Rhodes22-list] IMF Problem</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Verdana">Carol,<BR>
<BR>
I&#8217;d be more than a little concerned with the loose crane deck plate. =
&nbsp;Yes, there&#8217;s a lot of stress on the bow cleat but also on the ba=
se of the crane, which is mostly force pushing down and aft at whatever angl=
e the crane is pointing. &nbsp;I think there&#8217;s a chance that you could=
 crane down your mast without incident, but consider what might happen if th=
e crane base plate were to let go during the process. &nbsp;The base of the =
crane could pop out in an unpredictable direction which could put the crane =
operator and the rigging at something of a risk. &nbsp;The greatest stress i=
s when the mast is almost down, and at that point, the crane is pushing almo=
st straight down on the deck. &nbsp;Depending on how loose the plate is shou=
ld dictate weather you should get a bunch of guys to walk it down manually, =
or perhaps a combination of the two&#8212;the more load that the guys could =
take of the mast as it comes down, the more stress you take off the bow clea=
t and the crane. &nbsp;That said, the safest thing you could do is fix the d=
eck plate before you use it again.<BR>
<BR>
Slim<BR>
<BR>
On 8/8/02 11:00 PM, &quot;CarolN8@aol.com&quot; &lt;CarolN8@aol.com&gt; wro=
te:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks for your input =
Michael. Do you think it's ok to lower the mast with the plate not anchored =
in? don't the stays and the hoist end tied to the cleat hold the weight of t=
he mast?<BR>
<BR>
Carol</FONT></FONT><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"> <BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana"><BR>
</FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3111711705_41474905--