[Rhodes22-list] sails

Christine Allison rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 08:54:34 -0400

> Tanbark has been used for ages to keep sails from UV deterioration.  Back
> before people even knew about UV.  It also hides mildew and rust spots.  >

Indeed it does on COTTON sails.

> On my other boats, I wore out several American flags by excessive
> exposure to UV.  Always the stars and the white stripes rotted out,
> leaving only red and blue parts.  >

Was the flag Dacron?

> Dying the sails does make them last longer, as well as cost a lot more!

In mass produced class boats (Hobie/Laser/Sunfish) the racing sails are
ALWAYS WHITE.  Why?... stronger.

If you don't want Sunbrella as the sacrificial covering on a furler/reefer
you can use Dacron.  What color?  Again WHITE!  If colored Dacron had
greater UV protection don't you think it would be used instead of white?

Richard Smith