[Rhodes22-list] Sailing on a Catalina 22

Mark Kaynor rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:57:48 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01C2444A.978F8830

Julie and crewed on a friend's Catalina 22 yesterday evening. We got to =
fly a symmetrical and an asymmetrical spinnaker for the first time with =
his help - it was pretty cool and we're going to try Raven's =
asymmetrical on our own this weekend, weather permitting.=20

During our sail I was struck by several things and was glad for the =
opportunity to revisit some of reasons we chose to buy our Rhodes22 (and =
give ourselves a pat on the back for our decision).=20

- The difference that made the largest impression on me was that the =
cockpit seemed crowded with a crew of three. We've really been spoiled =
rotten <g>.=20

- A couple of times our friend had to search for things in the torpedo =
tubes (a.k.a. quarter berths) under the cockpit seats. I really do much =
prefer the open space under Raven's cockpit seats for legroom and easy =
stowage.

- Julie got conked by the boom (she's okay - just a bit of a lump) - =
it's just enough lower than Raven's that we had to pay attention to it.

- Boy, there were a lot of lines on that boat. Spinnaker sheets, =
halyards, down-hauls, coils, loops, tangles, etc. all in that small =
cockpit. Sometimes I think I'd like to have more toys to play with, but =
then I get reminded about how simple, pleasant, and relaxing it is to =
sail Raven.=20

- I was at the helm most of the evening and was struck by how stiff it =
was - much more resistance that on Raven, especially as the wind kicked =
up. I found myself looking down to see if the rudder had kicked up a =
bit. I realize this probably has more to do with the way everything on =
the boat is tuned, but I didn't much care for the idea of sailing that =
boat for any extended period of time.

- A gust hit us while we had the asymmetric up and Julie was a bit late =
releasing the sheet - we shipped a little water over the gunwale. =
Perhaps it was inexperience on this boat, perhaps it's personal taste, =
perhaps it was the feel of the tiller, but I feel much more solid, safe, =
and in control when Raven buries a gunwale.=20

Mark Kaynor
------=_NextPart_000_0056_01C2444A.978F8830

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Julie and crewed on a friend's Catalina =
22=20
yesterday evening. We got to fly a symmetrical and an asymmetrical =
spinnaker for=20
the first time with his help - it was pretty cool and we're going to try =
Raven's=20
asymmetrical on our own this weekend, weather permitting. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>During our sail&nbsp;I was struck by =
several things=20
and was glad for the opportunity to revisit&nbsp;some of&nbsp;reasons we =

chose&nbsp;to buy&nbsp;our Rhodes22 (and give ourselves a pat on the =
back for=20
our decision). </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- The difference that made the largest =
impression=20
on me was that the cockpit seemed crowded with a crew of three. We've =
really=20
been spoiled rotten &lt;g&gt;. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- A couple of times&nbsp;our =
friend&nbsp;had to=20
search for things in the torpedo tubes (a.k.a. quarter berths) under the =
cockpit=20
seats. I really do much prefer the open space under Raven's cockpit =
seats for=20
legroom and easy stowage.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- Julie got conked by the boom (she's =
okay - just a=20
bit of a lump) - it's just enough lower than Raven's that&nbsp;we had to =
pay=20
attention to it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- Boy,&nbsp;there were a lot of lines =
on that boat.=20
Spinnaker sheets, halyards, down-hauls, coils, loops, tangles, etc. all =
in that=20
small cockpit.&nbsp;Sometimes I think I'd like&nbsp;to have more toys to =
play=20
with, but then I get reminded about how simple, pleasant, and relaxing =
it is to=20
sail Raven. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- I was at the helm most of the evening =
and was=20
struck by how stiff it was - much more resistance that on Raven, =
especially as=20
the wind kicked up. I found myself&nbsp;looking down to see if the =
rudder had=20
kicked up a bit. I realize this probably has more to do with the way =
everything=20
on the boat is tuned, but I didn't much care for the idea of sailing =
that boat=20
for any extended period of time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>- A gust hit us while we had the =
asymmetric up and=20
Julie was a bit late releasing the sheet - we shipped a little water =
over the=20
gunwale. Perhaps it was inexperience on this boat, perhaps it's personal =

taste,&nbsp;perhaps it was the feel of the tiller, but I feel much more =
solid,=20
safe, and in control when Raven buries a gunwale. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Mark Kaynor</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0056_01C2444A.978F8830--