[Rhodes22-list] Mast Bend With A Masthead Rig & Double Lower Shrouds

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 12:36:32 -0400

<P>I searched at Borders and at Amazon.com for the&nbsp;book "ZEN and the Art of Sailboat Tuning".&nbsp; Does anyone have an old copy I could borrow?&nbsp; Rummy?&nbsp; anyone?</P>
<P>Todd<BR><BR>Please respond to&nbsp; <A href="mailto:sprocket80@hotmail.com">sprocket80@hotmail.com</A> </P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Christine Allison" <SAILNUT@ASAN.COM>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Mast Bend With A Masthead Rig &amp; Double Lower Shrouds
<DIV></DIV>Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:10:01 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><THIS DIV < edge aft the against up halyard a holding by see to easy is curvature>of the mast while varying the backstay tension. Rather than argue with me,
<DIV></DIV>I challenge you to go out on your boat, set up the rig as per my procedure,
<DIV></DIV>&amp; see for yourself.&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Can you obtain enough bend to free up the leech in a meaningful way? If
<DIV></DIV>not... what's the point?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>It goes without saying that your mast , or any mast , can be bent if enough
<DIV></DIV>tension is applied. Keeping in mind that this is an older design, my point
<DIV></DIV>here is that the Rhodes rig, is/was not intended for such an exercise.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I am not condemning or criticizing you at all. You have much more
<DIV></DIV>experience with the boat then I have and you have an engineering background
<DIV></DIV>and obviously understand the force set ups in play.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Being traditionally oriented I feel that I bring a different (more seat of
<DIV></DIV>the pants) point of view to boat tuning and sailing. There are others here
<DIV></DIV>who could care less about the whole thing. The idea is to get out and have
<DIV></DIV>fun...
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Richard Smith
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link
<DIV></DIV>http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our
<DIV></DIV>FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html
<DIV></DIV>http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org