[Rhodes22-list] R-22 PHRF

Bill Effros rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Thu, 22 Aug 2002 23:29:52 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_008C_01C24A33.D0796780

Roger,

Even though I am a pleased IMF owner who doesn't give a fig about tuning =
my own boat for maximum performance, I was fascinated by the rig tuning =
discussion and found it interesting and useful.  Thanks to all who =
participated.

Michael made a comment a while ago about how much better the boat sails =
once you learn how to use it.  I think about his remark every time I =
read something written by someone who just doesn't know how to rig the =
boat.  Discussions like this help everyone.  The give and take allow the =
unknowledgeable to better understand the issues.

A couple of years ago we had a long discussion about PHRF ratings (a =
handicapping system that allows different types of boats to race against =
each other, so that the skill of the crew and not the inherent speed of =
the design is the determining factor).  The higher the PHRF, the slower =
the historical speed of the boat in racing conditions.

J boats have very low PHRF numbers both because they are inherently very =
fast, and because people who do give a fig about such things tend to buy =
and race them, thereby driving their numbers lower and lower as the =
skill level of the fleet increases.

Rhodes 22 owners, as a group, are more interested in comfort than speed. =
 As a consequence, we get relatively high PHRF numbers when we enter =
racing fleets--I believe you once mentioned a normal range of 258-312.  =
You also mentioned that because of the way you tuned your rig, and your =
ability to sail your boat, (you kept winning with higher PHRF ratings) =
your fleet lowered your rating to 234.  You said you could still win at =
this rating, but only under certain circumstances, and if you really =
sailed well.  That is the goal of PHRF racing.

It also provides both a benchmark and a racing opportunity for other =
R-22 owners.  Anyone with an R-22 PHRF rating in the normal range has a =
boat capable of winning every race.  Discussions like this one let =
people know that if any boat with a PHRF rating greater than 234 seems =
to be sailing better than their Rhodes 22 the fault lies with them, and =
not with their equipment.

This is useful knowledge whether or not one ever decides to purchase a =
Loos gauge.

Bill Effros

BTW Slim--S/V Little Queenie

----- Original Message -----=20