[Rhodes22-list] Rhodes docs

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Sun, 25 Aug 2002 00:24:10 -0400

<P><BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Michael,</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I am not a computer whiz at all, but whoever has the original copies of the Rhodes literature can have it converted to a .pdf file by Adobe online free (you get 5 trial uses).&nbsp; They must scan the documents into an accepted format .&nbsp; Adobe will do the OCR, then e-mail the pdf file to you.&nbsp; I converted the copy someone kindly posted to this list in doc format.&nbsp; The file was too big and went to the list moderator for review (you?).</P>
<P>Open your acrobat reader when online.&nbsp; click TOOLS&gt;Create Adobe PDF online.&nbsp; but the file must be compressed to send it here.<BR><BR>Please respond&nbsp;to&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;<A href="mailto:sprocket80@hotmail.com">sprocket80@hotmail.com</A> </P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Michael Meltzer" <MJM@MICHAELMELTZER.COM>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Rhodes docs
<DIV></DIV>Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2002 22:40:17 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>it about 27 pages, tiff to pdf(postscript) for bitmap's is going to be huge, or be real hard to read at the lower resolutions to save size. OTOH html would be about 60kb+- reduced to 10kb for download by mod_gzip and allot more friendly to read and print. The other thing is looks like Stan typed in on a typewrite, good for conversion.The optimizer in me is showing. Bob has 1.2 meg file in word but this OCR software converted 90+% to bitmaps in word :-). But Ha I am open to ideas, expressly when I am not doing the work :-)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>My preferred formats would be html, PDF then word, I rely do not want to make people download openoffice to read it(but the original in word make great sense).
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I checked out the decoder, I think they might need a "Fuzzy Logic" engine for my writing :-)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>MJM
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Mark Kaynor
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 7:28 PM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Rhodes docs
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Michael,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Why OCR? Why not just a .tiff converted to a .pdf? Granted, a Word doc would be preferable, but a scan converted to an Acrobat file would suffice to at least get the docs out there, I would think?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>And what's wrong with your proof reading? I've been participating in a secret decoder ring project that should help every citizen better understand all codes - http://www.halfbakery.com/idea/Rhetoric_20Decoder_20Ring
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Mark Kaynor
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Michael Meltzer
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 10:36 AM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Rhodes docs
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I do not mind, but it needs a good OCR job, it would take a few hours for someone to do the proof read. If someone has a good package should be a easy job. Volunteers?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>MJM
<DIV></DIV>PS. I am sure no one wants me to prooof read ;-)
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Mark Kaynor
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Saturday, August 24, 2002 9:08 AM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Rhodes docs
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Has anyone asked Stan's permission to post copies of Rhodes 22 documentation on the web site? I've got the 1988 version of the owner's manual, and it seems to me that a collection of relevant docs would be of real use to those who need it.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Stan - what do you think? Would that be okay with you? Michael - if space is a problem, I could post them on my server and provide you with a link.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>If this has already been discussed before I came on the list, I apologize for the repetition.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Mark Kaynor