[Rhodes22-list] Mast Bending & PHRF Rating

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 08:30:25 -0400

<P><BR>Roger,</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Do&nbsp; you have an address or phone number for SJI?<BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><BR><BR><BR>Please respond to sprocket80@hotmail.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Roger Pihlaja" <CEN09402@CENTURYTEL.NET>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Mast Bending &amp; PHRF Rating
<DIV></DIV>Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 05:57:12 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>MessageRichard,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I have 3 full battens on my mainsail. It's very roachy &amp; holds its shape very well. It's from JSI in Florida. I have sail slugs on the luff &amp; a bolt rope on the foot. Hoisting &amp; lowering are not a problem. It will sometimes fall down the mast when I let go of the halyard.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Roger Pihlaja
<DIV></DIV>S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: R.G. Smith
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Sunday, August 25, 2002 8:44 PM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: RE: [Rhodes22-list] Mast Bending &amp; PHRF Rating
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&lt; Bullshit! To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a single performance oriented sailboat racing class that prefers to use loose footed mainsails. I don't know why Doyle has made this marketing decision. Fortunately, there are plenty of other choices of sailmakers &amp; I would run, not walk, away from this idiot at Doyle. &gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>My feeling exactly. I went to Doyle only beacuse they are building sails for GB.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>On the other hand... one must wonder about their contentions because catamarans and Lasers use loose footed mains so there must/might be something to it. I refer to draft control, such construction would seem to have no effect on the life of the sail.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I do intend to go with the 2 full upper battens and the partial lower battens. When I owned a Hobie16 full batten main and jib) I hated tieing draft into the sail via batten tension. Not to mention the hassel of hoisting .
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Richard Smith
<DIV></DIV>