[Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm

rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:22:05 EDT

--part1_17d.d664e5b.2a9be7ed_boundary

hi joe
i dont have a 175, i use a 150 and im new to the rhodes 22.....i cant imagine
using a 175 on a close reach...ive been furling my 150 at about 8kts....ive
tried dropping the main to the lower level (sometimes called the first reef)
but that increases the weather helm....so when i hit 8 i furl the jib and
move it to the inside track...i think its about a 110 and the boat does well
til about 12kts...my next experiment is what to do at 12....drop the main or
take in more jib...now that the heat has let up i might be able to find
out,....my instinct tells me to drop the main to the lower level at that
point but i havent tested it...im intertested in comments from those more
experienced than i on the rhodes....

--part1_17d.d664e5b.2a9be7ed_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><FONT  SIZE=2>hi joe
<BR>i dont have a 175, i use a 150 and im new to the rhodes 22.....i cant imagine using a 175 on a close reach...ive been furling my 150 at about 8kts....ive tried dropping the main to the lower level (sometimes called the first reef) but that increases the weather helm....so when i hit 8 i furl the jib and move it to the inside track...i think its about a 110 and the boat does well til about 12kts...my next experiment is what to do at 12....drop the main or take in more jib...now that the heat has let up i might be able to find out,....my instinct tells me to drop the main to the lower level at that point but i havent tested it...im intertested in comments from those more experienced than i on the rhodes....</FONT></HTML>

--part1_17d.d664e5b.2a9be7ed_boundary--