[Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm

David Walker rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 08:16:41 -0400

Joe,  the weather helm you are experiencing is most likely due to the
heeling.  When the hull heels its geomtry relative to the water changes
inducing whether helm.  The is acutally a good thing, as when the rig gets
overpowered, the boat will autmatically tend to head up and luff the sails.

On my boat with moderate wind I can sail the 175 all the way out (full main
of course) and if I can keep her from heeling too much she is well balanced.
The amount of wind you can do this in will depend on your "movable
balllast".  As you reef the jib, you should match with reelfing the main.
Many on the list will reccomend lowering the boom to the lower position as a
first reef.  This will lower the COE of the main, but as the jib is 2x the
size of the main, its benefit is small.

Obvious, but also check to make sure the rudder is all the way down (leading
edge actually ahead of the pivot line).

Dave Walker
SV Windswept

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ware, Joseph W." <joseph_ware@merck.com>
To: "List Rhodes (E-mail)" <rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org>
Sent: Monday, August 26, 2002 3:55 PM
Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm

> I have an IMF and 175 Genny.  Under about 100% Genny the helm is balanced.
> When the Genny is pulled all the way out, and healing, there is a good
> amount of weather helm.  I have to push the tiller hard to keep her going
> straight.  Is normal, or is my rig set up wrong?
>
> Joe
> S/V Whisper

----
> Notice:  This e-mail message, together with any attachments, contains
information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that
may be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and
is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this
message.  If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this
message in error, please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete
it.