[Rhodes22-list] Effect Of Canting The Rudder Blade Forward?

Christine Allison rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:54:53 -0400

<On your boat, if someone cludged together a rudder head assembly wherein
the rudder blade is allowed to swing forward past vertical; then, I would
expect you would experience weather helm with the rudder blade pivoted all
the way forward past vertical.>

Raking forward produces lee helm ... backward produces weather helm.  Hobie
16's can go to weather faster if the blade(s) are raked forward.  This loads
the rudders and they act as dagger boards! I don't know if this would apply
to a monohull like a Rhodes.

Richard Smith