[Rhodes22-list] Effect Of Canting The Rudder Blade Forward?

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:02:33 -0400

<P><BR><BR></P>
<DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>Thanks&nbsp;for the info.</P></DIV>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I think I am going to make a few mods to the rudder head design by incorporating a removable mechanical forward stop.&nbsp; Judging by everyone's talk about helm balance..it seems that anywhere off the wind with full genoa&nbsp;the problem is, keeping the main properly trimmed and powered up and counteracting the tendency&nbsp;of a lee helm condition.&nbsp; Any forward cant at all on the rudder blade will only exacerbate the lee helm...but what do I know.&nbsp;&nbsp;</P></DIV><BR><BR>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>Please respond to <A href="mailto:sprocket80@hotmail.com">sprocket80@hotmail.com</A></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Christine Allison" <SAILNUT@ASAN.COM>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Effect Of Canting The Rudder Blade Forward?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 13:54:53 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><ON your boat, if someone cludged together a rudder head assembly wherein < DIV>the rudder blade is allowed to swing forward past vertical; then, I would
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>expect you would experience weather helm with the rudder blade pivoted all
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>the way forward past vertical.&gt;
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Raking forward produces lee helm ... backward produces weather helm. Hobie
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>16's can go to weather faster if the blade(s) are raked forward. This loads
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>the rudders and they act as dagger boards! I don't know if this would apply
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>to a monohull like a Rhodes.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Richard Smith
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>_______________________________________
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html