[Rhodes22-list] What Controls The Position Of The Boom On Older Standard Rig Boats?

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 20:03:44 -0400

<P><BR>Roger,</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Thanks for yet another detailed, in depth explanation. I have been to the boat on the boat in a while but I only remember one hole in the sail track below the opening;&nbsp; but my memory isn't the best.&nbsp; I have been re-typing and making corrections to the Early Rhodes literature file MJM posted and I have read about these holes.&nbsp; I haven't gotten to the part where their uses are explained yet.<BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>I asked about the 1/2" bolt rope because I saw a mail for a good price that had all of the correct dimensions except it has 1/2" bolt ropes.&nbsp; I do not want to have a stubborn sail nor do I want to install a sail downhaul line as someone explained here to pull the sail down..<BR><BR><BR>
<DIV>Please respond to <A href="mailto:sprocket80@hotmail.com">sprocket80@hotmail.com</A></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Roger Pihlaja" <CEN09402@CENTURYTEL.NET>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: [Rhodes22-list] What Controls The Position Of The Boom On Older Standard Rig Boats?
<DIV></DIV>Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 16:09:17 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Toad,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Look on the sides of your mast near the back. You should see a series of holes about 1/8" ID going right thru both sides of the mast. These holes should pass right thru the track where the pop top slider runs as well as the mast bolt rope or sail slugs. When you purchased the boat, there should have been several stainless steel hairpin clips included, which fit thru these holes in the mast. Another common use for these hairpin clips is to retain the hitch pins on class 2 &amp; 3 trailer hitches. If your boat did not come with them or they've been lost; then, any good RV dealer should have these hitch pins in assorted sizes. You want to purchase hitch pins made from 3/32" OD wire.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>On Dynamic Equilibrium, one of these sets of holes is about 4" above the bottom of the mast. A hairpin clip thru this hole locks the pop top slider in the down position. There is another set of holes up the mast a couple of feet, which are used to lock the pop top slider in the up position. Finally, further up the mast, there are 4 sets of holes for the boom gooseneck. There are 2 hairpin clips for these 4 holes. To set the boom in the "lower" position, move the gooseneck slider in between the lower set of holes &amp; install the hairpin clips. Similarly, the boom gooseneck is set between the upper two holes &amp; retained there by the hairpin clips for operation at the "upper" position. In use, the mainsail is hoisted with the halyard. The halyard is tensioned until the boom gooseneck rises up against the top hairpin clip &amp; then the halyard is cleated off. Then, the boom downhaul is used to apply the desired amount of luff tension. Due to stretching of the mainsail luff &amp; main halyard, as luff tension is increased, the boom gooseneck will be pulled downward from its mechanical limit up against the top hairpin clip. Sufficient luff tension should be achieved before the boom gooseneck reaches its lower mechanical stop against the lower hair pin clip. If the boom gooseneck reaches the lower mechanical stop before the luff has sufficient tension, then the main halyard was not sufficiently tensioned before being cleated off or the mainsail is worn out. When the mainsail is lowered, the boom gooseneck will drop until it reaches the lower mechanical stop provided by the lower hairpin clip.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Hopefully this explanation helps, Toad. Good luck.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>You asked whether 1/2" sail slugs or bolt ropes will work in a 7/16" slot. The answer is no, but you should measure then again. I bet they are really 7/16" inch.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Roger Pihlaja
<DIV></DIV>S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
<DIV></DIV>