[Rhodes22-list] Balanced Helm

Roger Pihlaja rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 22:46:08 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0009_01C24E1B.88D3F170

Re: [Rhodes22-list] Balanced HelmSteve,

First of all, let me admit something.  I absolutely hate teaching people =
how to sail in light air.  The effect of everything that one does in =
light air sailing is subtle & there is virtually no feedback thru the =
controls.  In addition, it's very easy to screw everything up by not =
sitting still on the boat or steering too much or not reacting properly =
to a wind shift.  Doing any of these can cause the weak laminar flow to =
separate from the sails &/or hull & cause a turbulent stall, which then =
requires several boatlengths for the stalled flow to reattach itself & =
resume laminar flow.  Basically, you must first learn how to sail & =
adjust the sail shaping controls in heavier air where there is some =
feedback thru the controls & the flow patterns are more robust.  Then, =
you can apply what you've learned to light air.  But, you are still =
adjusting the controls without any feedback because you simply "know" =
what the correct shape looks like.  It's sort of a "Luke, Close Your =
Eyes & Feel The Force" kind of thing".  If you were hoping for it to =
jump up & bite you, then please realize that's not going to happen.  I =
don't think it's possible to teach this skill hands off via the =
internet.  It would be very helpful for all of you that are having this =
problem to get out on the water with an expert sailer & have them show =
you what to do in a hands on learning environment.

Several people on the list have reported light air lee helm with the =
175% genoa & the IMF mainsail.  From a design standpoint, this sail plan =
configuration is certainly the one that would be expected to have this =
problem.  It's got the biggest headsail & the smallest, least powerful =
mainsail.  Dynamic Equilibrium does not have this sail plan =
configuration, so I can't give you specific instructions what to do.  =
But, if it were my boat with this problem & the adjustments I suggested =
in my previous post didn't work, then I would get first get back to =
basics & verify that Newton's Laws of Motion still work.  I would =
lengthen the forestay to the maximum adjustment possible, shorten the =
backstays to match, & then see if I still had light air lee helm.  If I =
still had lee helm, then I would start adding shackles to the forestay =
to lengthen it even more.  Don't worry about the appearance of the mast =
rake, you've got to get the sail plan's center of effort somewhere in =
the right ballpark first.  Once I had the light air lee helm banished, =
then I would see how the feel of the helm changes when the wind speed =
increases.  You may like what you find, but you may just as likely find =
you've introduced a strong dose of heavy air weather helm.  In that =
case, you're going to have to live with a crossover between lee helm & =
weather helm & make a decision how much of each you want & what =
windspeed you want the crossover point to occur at.

Light air lee helm may just be the favored mode of the 175% genoa & IMF =
mainsail sailplan configuration.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

----- Original Message -----=20