[Rhodes22-list] Pat Dailey

Steve Alm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 04:47:19 -0500

A couple weeks ago there was a fun thread with the subject:  How to sing the
blues that I think Bill started.  We got on the the subject of Pat Dailey.
Well, I just got a couple of his CD's the other day and I think it was Wally
who said, "Can't wait for the review."

The two CD's I got were "Looking Back" and "Raw Bars With Macaw."  The first
one is sort of a greatest hits collection of mostly his "serious" or shall
we say, "regular" songs.  I guess "Put In Bay" is his big hit and if you
lived around there, I suppose that'd be one of your favorites, but the juicy
stuff is on the other disc, "Raw Bars with Macaw" which comes with a label
warning: Intended for mature adults (and boaters).  Now, this one I can
really sink me teeth into ;-) although I'm not exactly sure just how mature
these songs really are :-)  I was delighted to see that many of the songs
are either written by or collaborated on with Shel Silverstein, who's always
been a favorite of mine.  (Shel wrote the Dr. Hook hit, "On the Cover of the
Rolling Stone" and who doesn't love that one?)

Naturally, "Raw Bars..." includes a healthy four-finger-pour of crude and
lewd drinking songs.  Since I play in a bar, I can't really have too many of
these and I'll be covering several of them right away for sure. :-)  I like
just about all of them but here are my favorites:  "Nymphomaniac" is a great
song that would work well for a roast, where we get, say, a bachelorette up
on stage and sing her a song such as this.  "Doobie and a Brew and Some Poon
Tang Too" is going to be very hard to resist!!  "Just How Drunk Are We Gonna
Get" will literally ring the till and so will "You Don't Have to be Drunk
(to be an Asshole)" which would also make a good roast.  "I've Got to be
Drunk to do That" is a song that I've actually done years ago but didn't
know it was written by Shel Silverstein. And Finally, "Aphrodisiac
(Oysters)" is very clever and has this cool, jazzy, Lyle Lovett sort of
groove.  I can dig it, man.

Lot's of fun and thanks for turning me on to it, dudes! :-)
Slimmy
S/V Fandango