[Rhodes22-list] Problems with my shrouds?

Toad the Wet Sprocket rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 30 Aug 2002 21:05:17 -0400

<P>Roger,</P>
<P>&nbsp;&nbsp; That answered my question.&nbsp; Didn't expect you to send Gary up in a bosun's chair.&nbsp; Hope that was the part you were kidding about.&nbsp;&nbsp; I see I better not ask any more questions unless it is an emergency.&nbsp; <BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV><BR><BR><BR>
<DIV>Please respond to <A href="mailto:sprocket80@hotmail.com">sprocket80@hotmail.com</A></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Roger Pihlaja" <CEN09402@CENTURYTEL.NET>
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To: <RHODES22-LIST@RHODES22.ORG>
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Problems with my shrouds?
<DIV></DIV>Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 20:15:28 -0400
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Dear Toad,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Sorry for the delay in responding. But, I had to wait for my 16 year old son, Gary, to get home from school so I could hoist him up the mast in our bosun's chair to make your requested measurements of the pins at our spreaders.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>The socket for the spreaders &amp; the bracket which serves as the mast attachment point for the lower sidestays on Dynamic Equilibrium are essentially the same as in your picture. The dimensions for the pins which attach the lower sidestay clevis to the bracket are:
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>0.180" OD X 0.50 Long From The Underside Of The Head To The End Of The Pin
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>As close as Gary could measure with a verneer caliper, while hanging from a bosun's chair, all 4 pins are identical.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>The pins are inserted from the backside, that is, the head of the pin is nearest the mast. The pin is inserted thru one side of the clevis, thru the bracket, thru the other side of the clevis, &amp; is secured on the outside with a SS cotter pin. The whole assembly has only a fraction of an inch of slop.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>While you're being a royal PITA, how else can we serve you? Just kidding!
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Roger Pihlaja
<DIV></DIV>S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: Toad the Wet Sprocket
<DIV></DIV>To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 12:34 AM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Problems with my shrouds?
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>All,
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>The lower shrouds attach to the mast to a cheek bracket just below the spreaders. There is a pin that goes through the shroud ends and the bracket. This pin is about 1" long on my boat and the ends seem to be just flopping back and forth along the pin. What should it look like? I have attached a photo and a drawing so all can see what I mean. Any and all info will be greatly appreciated.
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Sprocket
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Please respond to sprocket80@hotmail.com
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>From: "Roger Pihlaja"
<DIV></DIV>Reply-To: rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To:
<DIV></DIV>Subject: Re: [Rhodes22-list] Epoxy, glue, What kind
<DIV></DIV>Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:14:13 -0400
<DIV></DIV>Ed,
<DIV></DIV>If you never, EVER want to be able to remove the fastener again, then use
<DIV></DIV>epoxy. I like the WEST System of epoxy from the Gougeon Brothers; but, the
<DIV></DIV>specific brand of epoxy isn't very important, they're all about the same.
<DIV></DIV>The thing I like about the WEST System is the comprehensive array of
<DIV></DIV>fillers, pigments, thickening agents, fiber reinforcment, choppped strand,
<DIV></DIV>mat, glass fiber tape, + slow, medium, &amp; fast cure catalysts they offer for
<DIV></DIV>one stop FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic) shopping.
<DIV></DIV>Remember, in that post, the epoxy is doing two things. It's preventing the
<DIV></DIV>fastener from coming loose &amp; it's providing the eletrical barrier between
<DIV></DIV>dissimilar metals thus preventing corrosion.
<DIV></DIV>Roger Pihlaja
<DIV></DIV>S/V Dynamic Equilibrium
<DIV></DIV>----- Original Message -----
<DIV></DIV>From: "Ed Kroposki"
<DIV></DIV>To:
<DIV></DIV>Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 9:54 AM
<DIV></DIV>Subject: [Rhodes22-list] Epoxy, glue, What kind
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Roger:
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Yesterday, when I was having some email/computer problems, I
<DIV></DIV>sent
<DIV></DIV>&gt; a post to the list about "Which epoxy, glue to use" when attaching a rail
<DIV></DIV>&gt; to the mast. I think that the post went the same place as the first part
<DIV></DIV>of
<DIV></DIV>&gt; the reply to you.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; A few weeks ago there were some comments on the list about
<DIV></DIV>what
<DIV></DIV>&gt; to use on screws to the Mast. The comments were embedded in the replys
<DIV></DIV>&gt; about fixing something else.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; One of the replies said use epoxy, but didn't say which.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Another said use Loctite, but again didn't say which Loctite (they do make
<DIV></DIV>&gt; several types)
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Comments please.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Ed K
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt; _______________________________________
<DIV></DIV>&gt; Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>&gt; To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link
<DIV></DIV>&gt; http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our
<DIV></DIV>&gt; FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html
<DIV></DIV>&gt; http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>_______________________________________
<DIV></DIV>Subscribers, send mail to this address Rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>To change your options or unsubscribe from the list click on this link
<DIV></DIV>http://www.rhodes22.org/mailman/listinfo/rhodes22-list Check out our
<DIV></DIV>FAQ pages at http://www.geocities.com/blew_skies/topics.html
<DIV></DIV>http://www.sailnet.com/ -Where Sailors Get It! http://www.rhodes22.org
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: Click Here
<DIV></DIV>