[Rhodes22-list] Congrats, Rik!

Julie Thorndycraft julie@circle7.net
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 21:00:06 -0600

Rummy,
The Tower-Sudan mine is about two miles from a cabin that our sailing club
goes to every year on Lake Vermilion. Some of the participants did the tour
this year and found out that the mine is now participating in some
scientific study where they are sending signals through the ground to
another site in Illinois. I haven't gotten up the nerve to go on the tour
myself - not sure if claustrophobia will hit and I've been told that the
trip down is a bit like being locked into a very small box. We'll be there
again in June (with our newly recycled Rhodes) and maybe I'll give it a try.

Rik,
We moved a friends Alberg 38 from the Apostles to Barker's Island Marina a
year ago at the end of the season. It's about 85 nautical miles, if I
remember correctly. Had to make an emergency overnight at Cornucopia when
our engine died and the wind dropped to nothing. Pretty rare to see Lake
Superior completely flat but when Murphy decides to show up, anything can
happen. The wind came up just slightly (after an hour) and I was tasked to
sail into the dog-legged harbour - this is a boat with a 3/4 keel -
responsiveness is definately not the same as a fin keel. At the last minute
the marina finely responded to our hails and sent out a boat to tow us in so
I did not get the chance to test my 'sailing' skills!

The Apostles are one of the places that we intend to sail the Rhodes. We
have friends that take their Montgomery 17 there so I figure we should be
able to handle it with more weight and length. If not, we know that we'll be
invited back on the Alberg - they dock their boat during the season at the
city dock in Bayfield.

I've ignored my present wrapping as long as possible - thanks for the
diversion!
Julie