[Rhodes22-list] South Haven

Paul Grandholm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Wed, 24 Jul 2002 14:25:00 -0400

Bob,

     Saugatuck is the next harbor north of South Haven.  It's a cute,
artsy fartsy, touristy kind of town.  They have real cool dune rides
which I would highly recommend.  It would be a healthy trip by boat.  I'm
guessing 15 to 20 miles.
     St. Joseph is the next harbor to the south & is probably about the
same distance.  It's a nice town but nothing special.  The one claim to
fame is that theirs was one of five great lakes lighthouses commemorated
with a U.S. postage stamp a few of years ago.
     Van Buren State Park is just south of South Haven.  There is no
protected anchorage, but if the weather is right you can anchor close to
shore & enjoy the beach.
     A word of warning:  Respect this lake.  We saw it go from dead calm
to 5 foot breakers in two hours last Friday.  Listen & pay attention to
the weather.  Last weekend was the Chicago to Mackinac Sailboat race.
The longest (333 miles) fresh water race in the world.  16 boats dropped
out and one capsized before the end of the race.  These are much bigger
boats than ours.  In some conditions it can be more dangerous than the
ocean because the waves are much closer together when it kicks up.

Paul

>Paul, I will be up in South Haven again this year and am bringing my boat.
>Do you know of any good day trips to take in those parts?  I will be keeping
>her at South Haven Muni Marina on the black river.  You had mentioned seeing
>my boat at Carlyle, it will be only an hours drive if you would like to meet
>up - I owe you a sail.  Talk to you later.  Bob Weber
>S/V Ruba

Paul Grandholm
C&H Technology
GrandPower Components Div.