[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Jacks

Steve Alm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 02:38:09 -0500

Thanks Alex, intriguing idea.  One concern:  I understand that you would
have to deploy the tongue jack to get some/most/all of the tension off so it
doesn't bind.  Then as you pull it out, do you crank the jack down as you
go?  If it does start to bind in the process, aren't you likely to pull the
whole trailer forward and away from the wheel chocks?  Then when it unbinds,
you have the trailer rolling back on the ramp, hitting the wheel chocks with
some momentum--kinda scary.  I suppose that could all be avoided if you were
doing this on level ground (perhaps that's the key) but the ramps I use
don't have much room for that.  When the extension is all the way out it
limits the maneuverability for cornering, backing, etc.  Please tell me
more.  I appreciate your help.  My procedure certainly is more time
consuming but I'm always trouble shooting and trying to eliminate any
variables.  However, I'd love it if you could convince me that this is fool
proof.

Slim