[Rhodes22-list] Hull Speed

Steve Alm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 04:41:30 -0500

I've owned my R22 for less than a year and I'm still learning a lot about
the boat and still learning a lot about sailing.  First, what is the hull
speed of the R22?  I know there's a standard formula to calculate this but I
can't seem to find it.

Second, I have the IMF and the 175% Doyle genny.  What's the approximate
minimum wind speed and optimum point of sail necessary to achieve hull speed
under full sail?  I'm guessing a beam reach with winds at about 14-16.
Would it be easier with the boom in the down ("first reef") position?  Can
it be done safely with the boom in the up position?  Some of you have said
that you ALWAYS have the boom down unless it's very light air.  (I prefer to
sail with the pop top up.)

Third, without the standard main or a foam luff pad, is it possible for me
to pop over my bow wave and exceed hull speed?  If so, under what conditions
could I safely do that?

Sorry to sound like such a novice...I yam what I yam.  I'd like to take some
lessons some day but in the mean time, I'd really appreciate a few sailing
tips from you experts.

Anybody?

Slim