[Rhodes22-list] Hull Speed

Paul Grandholm rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Fri, 26 Jul 2002 16:28:00 -0400

Roger,

     Thanks, I'll try it.  I'm lucky in that this is very friendly
competition.  This is a woman who is a professor at Northern Illinois
University.  She used to be a Commodore of the Chicago Yacht Club and is
a very proficient sailor.  She has a beautiful old 27' all wood schooner
that is docked just across from me.  I think it's one of those situations
where I have an advantage in light air but as the wind increases, the
advantage swings to her.  I've taught my wife that if she beats us to
always say we were "just cruising".  Anyway, with your help, maybe I can
move that crossover point up a knot (of wind) or two.

Paul

>Paul,
>
>You bet!  Especially sailing close hauled, the pop top is like a big
>parachute that adds no thrust & lots of drag & heeling.  Try sailing close
>hauled with it up & down.  I too cannot use my boom vang with the pop top
>up.  So, that's just another reason to lower it when you want to get serious
>about sailing!
>
>Roger Pihlaja
>S/V Dynamic Equilibrium

>> Roger,
>>
>>      Do I understand you correctly that just by putting my pop top down
>> (even with the boom in the upper position), I can increase my speed.  I'm
>> usually only cruising but there is one other boat in our harbor and when
>> we're both out, the race is on!  We're reasonably evenly matched, so
>> something like that could give me a big edge.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul

Paul Grandholm
C&H Technology