[Rhodes22-list] trimming a furling mainsail

James B. Connolly rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:16:19 -0400

The following advice was recentlty promulgated on Sailnet.  The Rodes 22 is
not (normally, at least) equipped with a vang.  I recall some talk of the
backstay-mounted traveler compensating (partly?) for the lack of a vang.
Based on the attached description of the problem they had on their Beneteau
(I think) it doesn't seem to me that it would be a complete solution.

1.  Does the R-22 have noticable leach flutter as described here?  If so,
how is the leach flutter dealt with?

2.  Do you spend a lot of time fiddling with outhaul tension?

Jim Connolly
wannabe