[Rhodes22-list] trimming a furling mainsail

Mary Lou Troy rhodes22-list@rhodes22.org
Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:26:28 -0400

Jim, The R22 IMF main doesn't have any roach. I've never had a problem with
the leech fluttering. Our main has an adjustable car on the boom. While we
don't fiddle with it much, the fact that it is adjustable means you can put
more or less of a belly in the sail if you want. Ours is a bit awkward to
adjust so most of the time we just set it where we think we'll want it. We
are thinking of adding a cam cleat to the boom to facilitate this. GBI and
various owners have used lots of different set-ups on the boom. The
position of the traveler on the backstay is also handy for fiddling with
sail shape. The first two years we had the boat we didn't play with any of
that stuff and we were happy. Now that we are sure of the basics, we've
enjoyed playing with the various controls. The only time we really miss a
vang is in light air and chop. There are other times when it would be nice
but the convenience of the pop-top set-up and being able to immediately
raise or lower the aspect of the main is more important to us than the vang.

When we bought Fretless recycled we were hesitant about the IMF. We were
buying new sails so Stan told us if we didn't like the IMF, we could always
exchange it for a conventional rig. We never considered it.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Swan Creek, MD / Ft. Washington, PA