[Rhodes22-list] batteries

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Sun, 3 Nov 2002 15:06:24 -0500

My experience has been exactly the same as Mary Lou's.  Five years.  Benign
neglect.  No problems.

I have, and recommend, a Link-10 meter which lets me know the exact status
of the electrical system at any given time.

I have two batteries, and would have to agree with Rummy that this is one
battery more than you need.  Still, I will probably replace both because
it's easier than changing the electrical system, and I live by the motto "if
it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

My batteries have never been recharged using shore-power.  I leave them on
board, and use them all winter during which time they are topped off solely
by the cabin-top solar panels. The voltage has never gone below 13.0 except
for one 2-year period when I forgot to add battery water and it dipped all
the way down to 12.85.  I paid more attention to the meter after that.

I have owned an AGM battery for close to ten years, for use in a different
application, and I've been very happy with it.  It is totally maintenance
free, doesn't care if it's upside down, continues to hold a charge, and has
been completely reliable.  However, the cells are cylindrical in shape,
unlike the flat cells we've become used to.  Most of the AGM batteries are
squared off, but some don't fit into some battery holders not designed for
them.

The amp-hour battery rating system is extremely misleading.  LED lighting
could probably remain on for a solid year without totally drawing down the
battery.  A coffee maker, or large electric motor will draw down the battery
in a couple of hours.  If you do the amp-hour math the lighting shouldn't
last as long, and coffee maker shouldn't last as short.  It all has to do
with how quickly you draw the current.

I will probably get another pair of discount wet-cell batteries.  All
batteries in this country are manufactured by the same two or three
companies--Sears, Costco, and everyone else puts their name on them.  I'll
install them this spring, and keep them for just four years before replacing
them.  The power never dipped below 13.50 for the first four years, except
when they got nearly bone dry, and I started to feel I was pushing my luck
extending my use into the fifth year for no good reason.

Bill Effros