[Rhodes22-list] Cooking

Bill Effros bill@effros.com
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 13:31:39 -0500

Brad,

We have long skirted over the cooking issue, I'm glad you brought it up.

Like you, I'm uncomfortable with the fire down below.  Roger has faced all
adjacent surfaces with stainless steel.  Have you seen those pictures?

The Magma BarBQue grill can be hung over the stern rail so that it and the
fuel and anything on fire will simply fall semi-harmlessly into the water.
The new propane magmas can be used as a grill, as an oven, or as a burner.
I store my grill in the lazarette and can quickly set it up as needed.
However it's a little awkward leaning out to cook, and many a good meal has
fallen overboard.

Roger pre-plans everything, packs food in dry ice, and prefers to cook it on
shore.  Since a Rhodes can be pulled right up to the beach this is a viable
option.

Cooking on board is dicey even in much larger boats.  Scalding is always a
danger, in addition to carbon monoxide, stuff catching on fire below deck,
and fuel exploding.

I doubt that cooking electrically is viable.  The current draw is enormous
and will suck the life out of as many batteries as you would ever consider
carrying.  The small generator cannot provide enough power for cook as you
generate, and would have to stay on 24 hours a day to recharge the batteries
for 15 minutes of use.  You'll wind up carrying and playing with a whole lot
of gasoline high on a potentially rocking boat (not supposed to refill while
hot--just one more problem.)

Bill Berner has done a lot of cruising, and I'd love to hear how he has
handled this problem.

I'd also love to hear how others handle both overnight cooking and cruising
cooking.

Bill Effros