[Rhodes22-list] electric motor selection

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Tue, 5 Nov 2002 15:05:19 -0600

Robert,

Good luck getting five knots for more than about 5 minutes. :-)

Don't believe that there is a trolling motor out there that will compare to
your 8 hp. Unless you can find one with about 250 - 300 lbs of thrust or so.
If you really wanted to get serious and buy a huge battery bank, etc you
could go with a Ray electric outboard or a Lynch, but your talking some
serious bucks (thousands) for these motors, plus the batteries will weigh a
ton (well not really a ton, but I bet 500lbs ) Plus major modification to
your boat to get it all in there.

You can get up to 105 lbs of thrust (about like a 2 hp gas engine) out the
larger Minn-Kotas but even this is using 36 volts. At the least for this you
would need at least 3, large 12 volt batteries and if you want to run very
fast for long, you will need 6.

You can use a trolling motor pretty satisfactorily for getting in and out of
a marina, etc. but longer distances at a high speed with such a motor are
not a very realistic possibility at this point IMHO.

Rik