[Rhodes22-list] Kayaks Revisited

Wally Buck tnrhodey@hotmail.com
Thu, 07 Nov 2002 14:30:11 -0500

I have been trying to find an easy to use tender to visit some of the many
creeks and islands along the TN River. I was looking for something that
could hold two people, plus gear, self bail, light weight, and stable. If I
could use it for light white water and beach use even better.

I considered tandem hard kayaks but I didn't think they were stable enough
for easy entry, especially for my wife. Plus they were not self bailing. I
also considered a sit on top but figured they would only be good in warm
weather, too wet. and not good for white water.

I wound up buying a used inflatable locally that is basically brand new and
was a great deal (cheap). It is made of 1000 Denier, rated for 750 pounds,
stable, self bailing, and rated up to class 4 whitewater. It came with a
foot pump, two nice paddles, splash guards, thigh straps, and seats. It
pumps up in about 10 minutes with the foot pump, deflates very quick as
well. Supposedly a $800 package new.

http://www.seaeagle.com/canoes/380x.asp#

I know it won't track as well as a hard kayak but we are not going long
distances. I took it out on my lunch break for a quick test, no leaks.
Hopefully it will serve me well.

Wally