[Rhodes22-list] Bunk Boards

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 22:46:21 -0600

Wally,

I would agree with Rummy on his points about the tandem vs single axle
maintenance. I would add that the wheels on a tandem trailer get a great
deal more twisting force applied to them when you turn and therefore are
more prone to breaking or cracking wheels. This is not common, but I have
replaced several wheels on tandem and tridem axle trailers over the years
for this reason.

However, I would disagree with Rummy that the turning radius of a tandem
trailer is substantially different than that of a single axle trailer. This
is determined pretty strictly by the distance from the hitch coupler to the
center of the axle on a single, or the center between the axles on a tandem
and will not tend to vary a noticeable amount on two trailers where this
distance is equal. I can back a tandem trailer into a jack-knifed position
just as easily as a single axle given the same length from axle(s) to coupler.

Just as a cautionary note I will add this. If one is letting himself get so
comfortable with the turning radius of a given trailer or trailers, that he
feels he doesn't need to watch that trailer in the mirror anymore as he
turns. He IS, sooner or later, going to hit something with that trailer.
After 2,000,000 (yes that's million) miles of towing, I still have to watch
my trailers as I turn with them to be sure that my judgement is correct in
a situation that might be close. Good judgement of distances is a wonderful
talent to be blessed with, but as Ronald Reagan once said about a
completely different subject, trust, but verify. Then there's always the
old standby, pride cometh before a fall. Hey, been there done that, eh?

Rik