[Rhodes22-list] mast issues

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 04:54:30 -0800 (PST)

Yesterday I took the mast from its cradle and removed
the mainsail and ginny for shipment to SailCare for
cleaning, conditioning, and repair.  The genoa was in
great shape but the main has a few places that could
use some stitching.  The inside of the IMF area of the
mast was mostly clean except for some dust and a few
ants.  Question - has anyone used any of the dry
teflon sprays?  Fastrack, Sailcote, Mairiner's Choice?
 It only seems reasonable to lubricate the inside of
the mast while the opportunity is available but I'm
curious if the stuff really works and doesn't stain
the sails.  I swear by wd-40 for everything; stain
remover, starter fluid, lubricant, intoxicant, etc.
but this is one job where it won't work.

My mast has obviously had an antenna mounted at one
time, the L-bracket mount is still attached.  Now
would be a good time to "fish" a shielded cable to the
mount even if I don't re-install an antenna.  What I
really want though is a wind indicator on top of the
mast.  Does anyone have both a mast antenna and wind
indicator and how is it mounted so that one doesn't
interfere with the other?

Last question.  Has anyone found a creative use for
the extra block next to the topping lift block?  Flag
halyard perhaps?

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"