[Rhodes22-list] Docking lines and life jackets

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 10:57:45 -0600

Dan,

On our boat we use 1/2 inch double braid (red) for dock lines. We have 4, 2
15 foot, 2 25 foot (for spring lines). We also keep a 35 foot 1/2 inch
double braid on the boat, just in case. 1/2 inch may be a little more than
you really need and I don't think double braid is really necessary, but the
larger double braided lines are a lot softer and easier on your hands. They
also coil nicer than a smaller 3 strand line. Besides that, they look
really nice. :-)

For PFDs we carry 2 Sospenders inflatable vests w/harness for any heavy
weather we might encounter. We have tethers to go with these as well for
use if we need to rig a jackline, or want to tether ourselves to the boat
in some other way. We also carry 2 Sospenders inflatable waist pack PFDs
aboard. All of these are the manually operated type.

Can't really make a recommendation for any of these PFDs. Haven't had the
misfortune to have had to test them yet. Practical Sailor seemed to think
they were pretty good stuff though.

Rik