[Rhodes22-list] lightning protection

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Tue, 19 Nov 2002 06:29:05 -0800 (PST)

Wally, if you didn't get some experience last week you
should have!  The statistics are that more people die
of lightning strikes than do of hurricanes, floods or
tornadoes.  You've already dodged one bullet this
year.  The fast moving cold front convective activity
is easily enough predicted.  You just stay home on
those days.  The summertime isolated T-storms are my
concern.  You would stay off the water half the summer
in our part of the world if you only sailed on CAFB
days.  That is why Florida leads the nation in
lightning strikes and boat lightning deaths.  The
StrikeShield website goes into great detail on their
testing. The guru of the day is Prof. Thomson of the
University of Florida who also has done extensive
testing.  Based on what I've read so far I'm thinking
in terms of an aluminum lug (bolt) extending from the
front of the mast an inch or so.  Conductor cables and
plates could be stored in a bag for quick attachment
in impending lightning conditions.  The best course of
action is of course to head for home or at least get
close to the shoreline, (your mast is now competing
with trees for a ground).  Absent that, get in the
cabin, stay away from the mast step area, disconnect
the radios, and don't touch two potential conductors
at the same time.  I've been waiting for someone on
the list to tell me to "go fly a kite".  Guess we've
filled that square!

Brad Haslett