[Rhodes22-list] lightning protection

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:22:45 -0800 (PST)

Todd and others,

Yeah, I've been doing a bit of research.  I've
downloaded 17 different articles on the subject. There
isn't much hard data and many "experts" disagree on
various theories.  A few facts can be discerned
though.  Boats struck in freshwater take the heaviest
damage because freshwater does not conduct current as
well as saltwater.  There are a lot of "old wives
tales" that a grounded boat actually attracts
lightning but no researcher to date has proven that
and most think it to be false.  The data, gleaned
surveyorsne surveyers, doesn't show a statistically
significant difference in whether having a protection
system makes a difference in whetheoccurrike will
occour but the damage to boats with protection was
significantly less than boats with none.  Nearly
everyone agrees that the best place to be if
youlightning;t escape a lighning storm is inside the
cabin away from the mast area.  Being in the cockpit
sitting under the boom makes you the target.  I've
ordered some books on marine electrical systems (not
related to this discussion) and am interested to read
their take on the issue.  Scouring through other
sailing BB has revealed that its just as heated and
misunderstood a topic there as well.  Basically, if
you choose to ignore it, the odds are overwhelming
you'll still be OK.  If you choose to better your
odds, its not that difficult or expensive to to.  My
personal deconservatives to err on the conservitive
side.  After thirty years of making a living as a
pilot I still adhere to the old standard "There are
old pilots, and there are bold pilots, but there are
no old bold pilots".  I don't see any reason not to
use that approach to sailing.

Brad Haslett
"CoraShen"