[Rhodes22-list] Trailering the Rhodes 22

Keith Bracknell bracknellk@yahoo.com
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 10:18:47 -0800 (PST)

Bob,
I trailered a R22 from Winston-Salem to Connecticut. I took I-77 to I-81, to I-84. It added 100 miles to my trip but the traffic was much better than taking the I-95 to 287, 84 route, but the large tractor-trailers passing me on long down-grades were hairy. From eastern NC, the I-95 route seems more practical. The less time you spend on the road the less fatigue will be a factor.
It is very important to ensure the weight on the hitch is adequate to prevent fishtailing of the trailer at speeds above 45 mph. I would also watch for height restrictions, particularly when you enter and leave the highways for gasoline.
Take the advice from others on the R22 list to ensure that your trailer is in good condition. The trip will find you tired by the time you reach your destination, even without incident.
Keith (Aria, R-22, 1988)
 Robert Dilk <Robert.Dilk@trw.com> wrote:It looks like I am buying a 1976 Rhodes. The boat and trailer are in Cape Cod and I live in North Carolina. 750 miles.
Anybody have suggestions, comments or ideas on the special needs of trailering that far. My Tow truck is a full sized Chey Pickup K1500. 350 cid engine. manual.
thanks

soon to be Rhode 22 owner
Bob Dilk
Greenville, NC