[Rhodes22-list] Hand held GPS- What unit to get?

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 08:30:40 -0800 (PST)

Bill, this is a cheap shot but I just don't have the
self discipline to resist!  Go to sailingworld.com and
do a search on Nigel Calder.  Mr. Calder is a well
respected author in the cruising world.  Calder
describes his use of GPS, the installation of a
microwave on his boat, and how he stores an extra GPS
in the oven to protect it from lightning strikes.
Sorry!  Actually, I still have an old Garmin leftover
from the powerboat days.  Most of the "improvements"
that have been made in GPS's seem to be more about
display, mapping "do dahs", etc.  The technology
hasn't changed much and at 5 knots I agree, any entry
level model will do.  (big grin)  Brad.