[Rhodes22-list] map displays

brad haslett flybrad@yahoo.com
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 06:53:05 -0800 (PST)

Dan, the biggest weakness with the map display,
besides the initial expense, is the expense of the map
data and keeping it up to date.  In a powerboat at say
20 to 30 knots it may be of value but at 5-6 knots it
is no problem to follow your progress on a paper map.
I've intentionally stayed on a steamship airplane but
some of my friends on the high-tech stuff have had
their million dollar moving map screens go blank and
suddenly found themselves with a compass and some very
rusty basic navigation skills.  If you have the map
display you still need paper charts and for a lot less
money you can buy a second backup basic GPS.  But,
having said that 2 cents worth, the map is fun to
watch and impresses the technically innocent.  For
about the same money you can interface your GPS unit
with a laptop computer if you just like the idea of a
visual display.  Don't keep the computer on your
crotch to long however!  Brad.