[Rhodes22-list] Hand held GPS- What unit to get?

Robert Quinn rjquinn@bellsouth.net
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 22:33:57 -0500

Bill:  Kathy and I have the Garmin 176C.  We picked it up last Christmas in
preparation for our bareboating trip to St. Maarten.  It is a great piece of
work once you learn to use it.  The direction booklet that came with it is
not necessarily the most user friendly document out there.  Actually, there
are several outright errors in it.

As it turned out we spent our second day of the charter hanging on the hook
owing to a tropical wave going through.  This it turned out was an excellent
excuse to sit there an play with the GPS all day in an effort to master it.
We plotted out course from St. Maarten's Grand Chase (spelling is probably
off), out past Tintamere, and down to La Froche, to St. Barts and return.
Worked very very well.  We had planned to go on to several other islands but
the weather kept us between St. Maarten and St. Barts.  The GPS kept us on
track all the way.  Was kind of neat as I could put in way points along the
way to give us good clearance from the several "rock islands" along the way.
As the weather was clear (but very windy and the ocean was a mess), it was a
"nice to have item" versus a "necessity."  However, had we experience fog or
rain which would have cut down on visibility, we would have been well served
by the mapping aspects of the GPS 176C.

We are picking up the "chip" for our local sailing area the Christmas - they
are expensive $149.  But hey, it is fun!

Bob and Kathy on the "NoKaOi"

PS:  Elton broke the spell - No rain in St. Petersburg for the Strictly Sail
show this weekend.  Cold on Saturday but Thursday, Friday and Sunday were
okay.  Winds on Sunday dismal at best.

Saw Al and Michelle, plus several other owners at the show.    A great time.