Tom what about that UPS sail? Re: [Rhodes22-list] Baltimore thank-yous to...

SVTRITON@aol.com SVTRITON@aol.com
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 09:26:07 EDT

hi mary lou
im new to the rhodes and have never sailed a boat this light or this tender
so im a bit timid with the amount of sail i have up...usually starting small
and working my way up....ive used the ups about 8 times which is about 1/3 of
my sailing time..im sure ill use it more as time goes by..the downsides for
me are that you have to rig it beforehand and if your wrong it just lays
around on the deck...it can be rigged underway but singlehanding doesnt lend
itself to that for me... note its not like a spin which is forward  of the
forestay...its aft of the forestay so you cant raise it and use your jib...
you also have 2 sets of sheets which you have to keep untangled ....usually
only a problem in the beginning ....the extra furler works fine with the
nicro fan....i also have one..when doug posts the pad eye picture you will
see it fits fine...the furler is only about 2 1/2 inches in diameter...as for
the jib i use the cdi which has been fine ...neither unit has failed or
fouled....the ups can be used without the furler but i dont thinki could
handle that alone without a sock..the furler cost 250 as i recall..i forgot
to mention i also put a halyard restrainer on the mast to prevent possible
halyard wrap...so far so good....what the ad says is true...it allows you to
sail when you would normally give up and start the motor...hope this helps
best
tom