[Rhodes22-list] Genoa Sheets

Roger Pihlaja cen09402@centurytel.net
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 08:14:11 -0400

Joe,

I prefer to use a single genoa sheet tied onto the luff with a "Loop Hitch".  To make this knot, find the middle of the line & form a loop.  Stick this loop thru the grommet in the sail such that the loop protrudes about 2" thru the backside of the sail.  Then, take the two loose ends of the line & stick them thru this loop.  Snug it up & you will have a loop hitch with two genoa sheets ready to use.  It is the lowest profile, most nonsnagging knot that I'm aware of for attaching the sheets to a sail.  It is also nonslip, self-tightening, nonchafing, & yet it never jams when you want to untie it.

If you must use two separate sheets, then a bowline isn't a bad choice.  However, you will have to work at removing snags on the foredeck.  Remember, it is better to remove &/or streamline all snags on the foredeck than to use an inferior knot.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium