[Rhodes22-list] Tow Vehicles

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:11:02 -0500

Julie, (and hi Dan)

Last year I traded the 1 ton GMC 4x4 4 dr. 454 cu. in. dually pickup that
had been my all around, perfect for everything, over kill for most, tow
vehicle, for an S-10 4x4, extended cab, 4.3L V6, 5 spd.. I loved the 1 ton
for towing, but since one only tows a very small percentage of total miles
driven, I got very tired of stopping at every other gas station (11, 12
MPG, 6-8 MPG towing) and dropping $50 with this big truck, when I wasn't
towing.  With the S-10 I get around 20 MPG when not towing and 13-14 when
towing in 4th gear (we never tow in overdrive).  We have now towed our R 22
on a single axle trailer to the gathering at Kentucky Lake (875 one way)
for the second time with the S-10 and I have been very happy with the
performance of this truck. With the boat properly loaded, this took a
little experimenting, we can cruise down the highway 60-65 and feel pretty
comfortable. When going very far, I take the outboard and the rudder (1
bolt) off and store them in the cabin. This gets about 100 lbs. off the
transom (my motor is small) and over the trailer axles and makes the
trailer much more stable without adding a lot of tongue weight.

As towed loads go, the R22 is not that big a load. Tongue weight need only
be between 2 and 3 hundred pounds and the total loaded trailer weight is
only between 4 and 5 thousand depending on your gear, etc. There are many
folks on the list who tow with Jeep Cherokees, Chevy (GMC) Blazers and
Astro Vans, Ford Explorers and other makes of like size. I like a 4x4
because they are generally available with a little heavier suspension, and
a 2 speed transfer case. The low range is very nice for towing up a steep
ramp. I don't think the 4 wheel drive is really necessary, but the 2 speed
transfer case is not a possibility in a 2 wheel drive truck.

The over kill of the 3/4 or 1 ton truck is very nice, but remember that, if
not properly loaded, your trailer can still want to sway at highway speeds.
Believe me, I have learned this the hard way. The only difference between a
big truck and a small truck as far as loading is concerned is; With the big
truck you can have as much tongue weight as you want or you can get. With
the small truck you have to watch not to get too much. Either way though,
you have to have ENOUGH tongue weight, for the trailer to track properly.
When this is just right for your truck is something you kinda have to learn
by experience. Personally, I would rather have a smaller vehicle, that I
can afford to operate the rest of the time, that lets me know right away
when things aren't going just right rather than a large truck where I can't
feel the problem till it's too late to do something about it.

There's my 2 or maybe even 3 cents worth.

So, when's your due date????

Rik