[Rhodes22-list] boat show recap

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:49:18 -0500

Mike,

Hey, I think we all wish pretty much the same as you. But, you just can't
get a 25 foot boat inside a 22 foot boat. To be realistic about it, the
Compac 25 is, in round numbers, roughly 15% (about 3 feet) larger than an
R22. Given equal cockpit and v-berth size size, this allows the cabin of
the CP 25 to be 3 feet longer. when you take boat size @ 22 feet, subtract
an 8 foot cockpit and a 6 1/2 foot v-berth this leaves about 7 1/2 feet for
cabin space. Doing the same for a 25 footer you will get 10.5 feet. this is
almost a 40% increase in room that could be used for accommodations. I
would bet though that it also translates into a 40% increase in the base
price of the boat. This is probably going to get you from the under $40,000
price range (pretty nice R22), to the $55,000 - $60,000 price range, for a
new boat. Used boats will probably follow about the same percentages. How
big is your wallet????

Trailering. #3000 R22 vs #4800 Compac 25. If you want to leave her in the
water all the time, it isn't going to matter too much to you. If you want
to trailer on a regular basis, you will be able to figure on 4800 for the
boat, another 1000 for gear and about 1500 for the trailer, or almost 7500#
towing weight for the CP 25, compared to about 4500# for an R22. Better
have a pretty good truck for this. I tow my R22 with an S-10 Chevy V6.
Don't think I'd try that with a CP 25. I don't know what kind of vehicle
you have or how "towing friendly" you are. But here again, the size of your
wallet is a pretty big factor.

Setup, launching/retrieving, Don't know what the rig is like on a CP 25. I
do know that an R22 is pretty well thought out for setup and take down.
They planned to be trailering a lot when they built the boat. I would
expect to find that this is probably not the case for the CP 25.  Not that
this is a bad thing, it depends on how you want to use YOUR boat. Most R22
owners can set up/take down in under an hour.

Also in the R22's favor, you can buy a used boat right from the factory.
Haven't seen anyone else that does this.

So, bottom line is, what do you expect from your boat. I think CPs are
pretty darn well built as well as very pretty boats. Some folks tell me
that they are pretty much dogs in light air though (advantage R22 again,
compare sail area to weight), but build quality wise, they seem about
comparable. If you want to compare boat for boat though, you will need to
get closer in size. If you compare a CP 23 to an R22 that would be more
reasonable. You won't find the "comfort stuff" in the CP 23 that there is
in an R22. Can't compare a 22 foot boat to a 25 foot boat, apples and oranges.

Hope this helps. Oh, here's a review from a CP 25 owner, notice the LWL is
only 1 foot longer. And, the interior height is 5' 9". With the R22, poptop
up, interior height is 6' 4". CP probably doesn't have a poptop. Also no
IMF, or centerboard.

Rik

Shallow draft (30 inches), fixed keel sloop, nicely appointed interior.
Basically a small version of the ComPac 27. Can be trailered, although
setup/take down time would be formidable (also 6000lbs+trailer weight). LOA
is 27 ft, LWL is 21 ft. Interior height is about 5ft 9in.

Strengths: Well-mannered coastal cruiser, very-well built by a company that
stands by its products. Often mistaken for a Pacific Seacraft Dana. High
quality finish, rigging over built. Easy sailor with almost neutral helm.
Very good for shallow water coastal cruising. Options include marine head,
pressurized water, hot water, inboard. Diesel is a 12 hp Westerbeke --
shakes some, but very reliable. Turns in own length. Cockpit very dry.

Weaknesses: With tiller steering, the propwash from the diesel makes the
helm somewhat unstable, i.e., you must hold onto the tiller at all times.
Tiller autopilot is a must for long motor trips. Not a racer, slow to wind.
Vee Berth smallish for those over 6ft 2 in.

Satisfaction: Very high. Would not hesitate to buy it again.

SPECIFICATIONS ·
LOA - 28'2" ·
LOD - 25'0" ·
LWL - 21'0" ·
BEAM - 8'6" ·
DRAFT - 2'6" ·
DISP. - 4,800 lb ·
TOTAL SAIL AREA 308 sq ft
DESIGNER: Hutchins Group

$66,049.36 (I think this price is in Euros. Times 90% should be a pretty
close conversion to USD)