[Rhodes22-list] boat show recap

mltroy@NetReach.Net mltroy@NetReach.Net
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 11:47:31 US/Eastern

Mike,
I think we corresponded once off the TSBB list about your marina. We are now at
Swan Creek outside of Rock Hall and have cruised the R22 for 5 or 6 days at a
time stopping at a marina every 2nd or third night to clean up and empty the
porta potti (We have a 1991 recycled). We are tent campers from a ways back and
to us this seems the lap of luxury. Don't know if you saw the pop-top enclosure
but check out some of the pictures on the owners site and some of Mark Kaynor's
pictures from the Memorial Day Chesapeake Rhendezvous. The enclosure makes the
interior seem a lot bigger. We've found that our work schedules limit our
cruising time not the boat.

The recycled boats look new. You can get things like new sails and interior
cushions which make the boat feel new. We really liked the fact that we could
have a lot of the upgrades done as part of the initial purchase price. Of
course we're still upgrading ;-).

Your point in another email about getting roped into the maintenance issues
with a larger boat is exactly why we love out boat the size she is. We can
afford the luxury items because they are small and we can trailer her home in
the winter which makes working on her fun. We are one of the smallest boats in
our marina. We've made friends with lots of folks on bigger boats but have no
desire to go bigger ourselves.

Good luck whatever you decide. If you have more questions about sailing,
cruising or keeping an R22 just ask.

We meant to go aboard the CP 25 but got distracted and didn't make it back. One
of the things that struck me was how much she rolled when someone stepped
aboard. Fred and I were surprised. Don't know how she'd be under sail. I know
the hull Hutchins uses for the CP25 is (or was)the same as a Watkins 25 so you
might investigate those as well.

Best of luck (and fun) with your decision!
Mary Lou
1991 R22  Fretless
Swan Creek, MD / Ft. Washington, PA