[Rhodes22-list] Trailer Tires Again

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 20:15:05 -0500

Bob,

Dump the F-78's, walk away, and don't look back. uh...wait...14s are you
sure they're 14s????? never seen an R22 trailer with 14s on it. What kind
of trailer do you have????

I don't have a table but have many trailers and so have bought many trailer
tires. You want to go down to the local tire store and get ST 225/70R x 15
radial TRAILER tires. You will probably have to go to a regular (read real)
tire store not a walmart kmart type to find someone who will know what the
heck these are. You will be able to get these in a more suitable capacity
for the load you are trying to carry. They should be load range D I believe
probably in the 22- 23 hundred pound range. Trailer tires (ST in the size)
are made specially for use on trailers. Don't let them sell you passenger
car tires (P in the size). Sounds like you may need to buy wheels too. No
doubt if you really have 14s and not 15s. I suppose it might be possible to
get enough capacity in a 14 in tire, but I have never seen one. Doesn't
mean they don't exist though. Check your fenders to see how much clearance
you have with the tires that are on there now.

At any rate get load range D or even better E (these are hard to find) and
whether they are 14 or 15 you want an ST tire. Generally, the bigger the
tire, the higher the capacity it will have. You will be able to see this if
you compare two different sizes of the same style tires from the same
manufacturer.

Rik