[Rhodes22-list] Picture of

Richard F Sheehan dickshee@juno.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:58:22 -0400

Todd;

Of course you can do it, but why would you want to?
You lose the use of the picnic table in the cockpit.
You have a new set of complications with non standard cables.  Remember a
swaging machine goes for about $38K.
You must still carry a tiller and the attachment hardware.  Remember
every time a tiller breaks or a steering cable snaps, the sea is really
rocking & rolling!  It NEVER happens at your dock or in relatively calm
weather.
Your present tiller must be radically shortened to accommodate the wheel.

If you go ahead with project, don't use a little power boat wheel like
the one in Edenton, use a healthy sized  4 foot diameter wheel.  Also
install a binnacle compass at the same time.

Good luck,  and feel free to back channel me for further discussion.

Dick

CPT Richard F. Sheehan
PO Box 117
Wellfleet. MA 02667-0117