[Rhodes22-list] The Ship

Steve Alm salm@mn.rr.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:41:53 -0500

Roger,

I too enjoyed the way they explained the celestial navigation process.  Yes,
they had three good sextants but had to rely on Capt. Cook's own crude
mathematical tables to calculate everything.  They would take their sextant
shootings and then performed what they referred to as "diabolical"
calculations that would take over two hours to complete.  None of them were
very accurate so they repeated the process seven times and cross-referenced.
Further, the whole navigation process was even more difficult because they
also used Cook's charts which were quite incomplete and inaccurate.  Then
they would often forget to turn the hour glasses over on time which
compounded the problem even more.  They completely missed their marks
several times and had to do some backtracking to find a land mark to get
back on track.  Lots of dead reckoning. All things considered however, they
did a pretty amazing job.