[Rhodes22-list] Wheel steering

Alex Bell alexbell@coastalnet.com
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:28:01 -0400

Todd,

I just had to respond to this.

Swaging machine  $38K???   West Marine pg 969 Loos professional Swagin
tool $194.00

Emergency Tiller??   Try drilling a hole in rear of rudder (in advance
of need) that would allow a 3/8" line to be knotted to; pass a line from
both sides to existing winches and steer with lines. Or set up blocks
off backstays and pass lines around those to cleats in cockpit, once
again in advance of need.

Little powre boat wheel??  Gee!! We have a Rhodes 22. We also have an
Island Packet 35 which is 38' long. It has a 30" wheel. It is fully
capable of circumnavigation and much more intense sailing than I am
capable of. WITH A 30 INC WHEEL.   Don't confuse wheel size with sea
keeping ability. It sounds like penis envy to me. WE manage well with
our LITTLE wheel.

Alex Bell, owner of a small wheel and proud of it. It keeps Pamela
happy; the wheel that is.

[Rhodes22-list] Picture of

Richard F Sheehan dickshee@juno.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 09:58:22 -0400