[Rhodes22-list] I have a stuiped question(maybe even rude)

Rik Sandberg racerrik@rea-alp.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 21:01:35 -0500

Michael,

Never been to NY, have spent quite a bit of time in Chicago though. From
what I have heard from people who have been there (NY) and my own
experiences having been close (Newark, Boston, Baltimore). Moving to
Chicago would be an improvement, though maybe not by much. In general to
me, the people seem nicer, although they still have that big city edge. And
for sure, I wasn't hanging around with the same class of people you would
be in with. I have found for the most  part in this country that the
further east you go, the less friendly the attitude. Chicago is QUITE a
ways west :-) attitude-wise, heck I've actually had some people on the
street smile and nod to me as I passed, course they may not have been
natives. :-). You should expect a winter that is starting right about now
and will be a damn site colder than the 30 degrees and slush you are used
to, yes, your mother was right, it's cold. To me Chicago always seemed
kinda gray and dirty, but thinking about it, all the cities east of there
are the same way. So that won't make much difference. Having driven up
north along the lake shore, I think you will find that there's some pretty
darn nice neighborhoods up there. Looking from the lake side, Chicago is
beautiful to see, all along the shoreline is like one long park. And I
think, for those that live along the lake, it's a pretty nice city. I doubt
that you'd see much difference in the crime rate, don't think either one is
that great. They've got trains and public transportation probably just like
you are used to. Don't really know if a lot of the "uptown" people drive in
or not. But hey, look at it this way, you could drink the water you will be
sailing in..........well, you might want to boil it first. AND, no more
tides and currents :-) And the deal maker, you'll be able to go to Strictly
Sail and meet me, live and in person :-) :-) :-) JEEZ I'd move if only for
that!!!! Hell Michael, I don't know, It's a big city, Chicago, NY, I don't
think it makes a hell of a lot of difference, outside of some difference in
weather. Once you learn your way around, it's 6 of one and a half a dozen
of the other.

If you are going to look at it from the Blues Brothers perspective, yup,
Chicago has some slums. Believe me, I've been in 'em. Bet there aren't as
many as in NY and probably not any rougher either. Hey Michael, you
probably aren't going to be hanging around in that part of town anyway,
right???