[Rhodes22-list] Old Motor Lift

Roger Pihlaja cen09402@centurytel.net
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 06:27:37 -0400

Joe,

"Starboard" is the tradename for a brand of UV stabilized polyethylene
building material, which is manufactured by the King Plastic Co.:

    King Plastic
    P.O. Box 1475
    Venice, FL  34284-1475
    941-493-5502
    941-497-3274 (FAX)
    www.kingplastic.com

Besides "Starboard", King Plastics also offers "Starlite" rigid foam core
building material, which is about 40% lighter than Starboard.

Here are some other suggestions:

"CPG Seaboard" high density polymer sheet

    Compression Polymers Group
    801 Corey St.
    Moosic, PA  19807
    717-346-8797
    717-346-5080 (FAX)

"Kelron" HD polyethylene sheet

    Otron Tech
    P.O. Box 40
    Stn. Main, 760 Lowe Ave.
    Wallaceburg, ON, N8A 4L5  Canada
    519-627-7960
    519-627-7969 (FAX)

All manner of structural shapes, sheets, rods, etc in a wide variety of
polymers & they will custom cut & sell small pieces directly to individuals:

    United States Plastic Corp.
    1390 Neubrecht Road
    Lima, OH  45801
    800-537-9724
    800-854-5498 (FAX)
    www.usplastic.com

Given the thru-bolted, heavily compression loaded application, I would not
use any of the structural foams.  You only gave dimensions of 1.5" X 18" X ?
for the wooden pieces you need to replace.  How thick are these wooden
pieces?  What do these wooden pieces you are replacing do?  Do they move
with the motor mount or are they just  "shims"?  Assuming they are just
shims, then I would stay away from any of the brittle plastics like
polystyrene or acrylics.  Unfilled teflon will tend to creep with time under
compression loading, but glass filled teflon would be OK.  PVC & cPVC will
get brittle in the winter.  Nylon 6, polypropylene, ABS, UV stabilized
polyethylene (preferably high density or ultra high molecular weight), UV
stabilized polycarbonate, G-10 phenolic, or fiberglass would all probably
work OK in this application.  By the way, assuming these are just shims, are
you satisfied with their present thickness?  i.e., would you be happier if
the motor were slightly nearer or farther away from the transom?  By
tapering the shims, you could also adjust the angle of the motor relative to
the water, thus potentially fixing any motor trim problems you may be
having.  Now is the time to think about & change these parameters.

If this is a moving part, then I would use UV stabilized, ultra high
molecular weight polyethylene for its abrasion resistance & self-lubricating
qualities.

Roger Pihlaja
S/V Dynamic Equilibrium