[Rhodes22-list] I have a stuiped question(maybe even rude)

Sam at RR SamFeder@cinci.rr.com
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:12:11 -0400

OK Micheal, by now you should have gotten the word.  Chicago Area is in many
ways similar to the New York area, only spread out much more and certainly
more laid back in their approach to living.  The mid-west has more room.  I
was born and raised on Lake Erie, and have sailed on all the great lakes.
Lake is somewhat of a misnomer.  Any body of water that has anywhere from
600 to over 2,000 miles of shore line ain't no duck pond.  We visit Chicago
on a yearly basis.  Here are my impressions for what they are worth.  The
northern and north western burbs are better living and more upscale.  The
city itself is a "big city" with all the good and bad that implies.  Food,
music, sports, all are present.  By the way, the burbs, now stretch over the
line into Wisconsin, up as far as Whitefish bay, and west as far as La
Grange, Ill. Transportation is by rail, car, or with two airports O'Hara,
and Midway.  Midway handles overflow, commuters and some smaller lines.  The
Chicago Art Institute is world famous, as is their art museum.  We enjoy
their natural history museum.  Late Spring to mid Fall are excellent for
sailing, boating of any type.  Winters are rude.  Nothing to stop the cold
from sweeping down from Canada, and while lake Michigan acts as somewhat of
a modifier, its on the wrong side of you for most of the heavy stuff.  When
it snows, you will have not doubt that you are seeing a real Winter.  We
(wife and friends) find that mid-westerners, are somewhat less stressed,
than on the coast, less in a hurry, and more approachable.  More like
boaters if that conveys any information.  I would strongly suggest that you
take at least 3 to 4 days and look over the area.

Sam F