[Rhodes22-list] Winterizing motors

Alex Bell alexbell@coastalnet.com
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 01:15:43 -0500

Steve,

The professional shops use some kind of fogging spray that they shoot
into the carb and possibly pull the spark plugs and spray into the
cylinders. This puts a coating of oil on surfaces to keep from rusting
and prevents the gas from gumimg up.

After having two honda 8"s serviced recently, I was advised that while
you can run them dry of gas so they stall, you don't really get all the
gas out of the carb. That had been the tatic that we were advised to use
to make it easier to start the next time we wanted to run the engine.
(each and every time we came in we would disconect the fuel tank hose
and let the engine run till it stalled).. I am telling you that this
worked for a couple of years, but the gas in the bottom of the carb
eventually gummed up. The shop told me that we should use gasoline
stabilizer, which they sold. It is good advice. Use a generous amount
over the winter.

We have wondered why two stroke engines seem to be immune to the gas
deterioration problems that four strokers seem to have. One theory is
that the gas jets in four strokers are much smaller than the two
strokers. The other theory is that the oil mixer added to two stroke
engines provides the gas stabilizer. Maybe Roger P can expound on that
thought train???

Alex