[Rhodes22-list] UPS Revisited

Mary Lou Troy mltroy@netreach.net
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 20:22:25 -0500

Jay,
Just got back from the boat. We are still mulling the advantages of this
sail as well.

Tom will have to answer about singlehanding though it strikes me that you
could set the sail before leaving the dock and just never use the genoa. I
think in an earlier email Tom said you could just drop it on deck and
unfurl the genny. I'm still not clear about where the sheets go. Tom? do
they use the same fairleads to the winch that you use with the genoa? If
you are planning on using both sails, there are clearly some sheet
management issues that I don't fully understand here.

We are still considering whether this sail needs to be on a furler. It
occurred to me that you might be able to rig it with a tack pennant led
through a block at the padeye aft of the forestay back to the mast and set
it and take it down from the mast without having to go out on the foredeck.

I am intrigued by Rik's idea of a storm jib on its own luff rope that would
use the same padeye and halyard.

Stan any thoughts on padeye installation?

Doug Gardner, Tom said you had a picture of the padeye?

At the show, Doyle quoted us $575 for this sail without the furler and $325
more for the furler. There was an additional discount if we ordered at the
show which of course we didn't. The sail Doyle quoted was 1.5 oz. nylon and
200 sq. ft. which if I remember correctly is the same area as the 175
genoa. I think I want one in red, white and blue.

Mary Lou
1991 R22 Fretless
Swan Creek, MD / Ft. Washington, PA